Nowadays designers have the ability and technology to work from just about everywhere imaginable -freelancing and getting work done on the go is not only possible, it can actually be preferable at times.
With countless Apps on the market for your iPad or tablet and a myriad of online services you can start, complete or advance a campaign, design or project from your favorite coffeeshop, train commute or even a park bench with a hotspot.
Think about the possibilities: you’re struck with inspiration and send a layout design for review, or get a project approved and move it to the production stage with an online printer like this one. It’s fast, efficient and quite easy.
Below we review 10 iPad Apps that will give you the ability to grab a few rays of sunshine while working and an online printer service that you can get custom printing services at very affordable prices and with low minimums -a powerful combination for on the go design work!
10 Apps for Graphic Designers
- Adobe Photoshop Touch – Adobe Photoshop Touch has many of the powerful features of the desktop version. It allows users to combine images and implement professional effects. A must have purchase for designers at just $9.99.
- Loop – Need an iPad App to help you draw your animations? Loop it’s free! Create all your short hand animations and share them via email, the Loop gallery and Tumblr.
- Paper by Fiftythree – If your best ideas come to you at the oddest moments, then this App is an artist’s dream at zero cost. Sketch, draw, write, outline and color from this 4 star rated iPad App.
- Vittle – Want to wow clients at your next presentation or share ideas with your colleagues? Vittle, at only $8.99, is a whiteboard that records your writing, drawing as well as what you say to create engaging videos. Comes powered with loads of features like a fully customizable color palette.
- Lume – With just a touch of your finger, you can create light paintings on your iPad that are as close to natural as you can get. For only $.99, Lume lets you customize your artwork with amazing results.
- Flip-O-Matic – Transform your photos into symmetric patterns with the Flip-O-Matic App for iPhone and iPad. Flip photos from your very own gallery to create unimaginable patterns. Share and save by mail, Facebook and Twitter.
- Poetics – Next time you want to marry powerful prose with amazing imagery, use Poetics for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Poetics allows users to effortlessly combine moving text with breathtaking photos. Allows you to write in multiple languages.
- Super Note – Record your thoughts before they vanish from memory with Super Note. It also allows you to add photos to your recordings. All your notes are color coded so you can find them in a flash. All this and more for free!
- FontBook – A treasure trove of typefaces past and new all live in FontBook. A critical tool for any designer. Buy it for your iPad or iPhone for a mere $4.99.
- myPantone – Enjoy a library of over 13,000 Pantone colors on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch for $9.99 – the price of a cocktail in NYC. Lets you capture and obtain colors from photographs and compares them to the closest Pantone color.
These are just a sampling of some of my favorite design Apps that go wherever I go. Which Apps tried and true Apps do you carry with you? Do you use any of the Apps mentioned in this article? Share your thoughts and experiences with us!
Image courtesy of